History

Department of Physics & Astronomy

History

1946 Foundation of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences with five departments (mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, geology) in the Sciences Division)
1975 Relocation to the Gwanak campus and foundation of the College of Natural Sciences (upon separation from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences)
1990 Foundation of the Center for Theoretical Physics (CTP)
2000 Government funding started under the Brain Korea 21 (BK21) program
2006 Establishment of the Department of Physics and Astronomy by the merger of the School of Physics and Division of Astronomy
2009 Relocation to the remodelled buildings 22. 23 and 56
2013 Foundation of the Institute of Applied Physics (IAP)